Sunday, September 20, 2020

Thanksgiving Turkey 2019 -- This was the best one ever!

I have to tell on myself.  I've not spent enough time adding posts to this blog the last couple of years.  I noticed when I signed in this afternoon that I had created a draft of our 2019 Thanksgiving turkey recipe and I never bothered to post it. So . . . here we go.

Honestly, I've been preparing Thanksgiving dinner for more years than I care to admit, but this turkey was the best ever.  I will definitely repeat this every year moving forward.

15 lb turkey
2 sticks of salted butter (room temp)
1 pkg fresh Poultry herbs (sage, rosemary, and thyme)
1 lemon
2 stalks celery
1 red onion

Create a butter spread by chopping half of the herbs into small dice and combining with the butter.  Mix well, adding a good amount of salt and pepper.  

Unwrap your turkey and remove giblets and neck.  Pat dry with a paper towel. 

Cut your lemon into eighths and combine with chopped celery and chopped onion.  Sprinkle heavily with  salt and pepper and stuff into turkey. 

Smear your herb butter all over the turkey and poke several holes into your bird with a small paring knife to allow the flavor to work it's way into the meat.

I like to use Reynolds turkey-size roasting bags.  I place the turkey in the bag and set it on a rack inside my roasting pan.  I bake it at 325 degrees for about 4 hours.  It comes out perfectly golden brown and absolutely delicious!  

No comments:

Post a Comment