Sunday, December 26, 2021

Tomato, Cucumber Salad with Mint

 

This is a really fresh salad idea.  It has become one of my new favorites thanks to the purchase of an AeroGarden last year.  I'm able to grow fresh herbs right on my countertop.  It's great to have fresh herbs available year round!

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
4 mini cucumbers (my favorite kind)  You could use 2 large cukes.
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
2/3 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
1/2 cup fresh mint (chopped)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large bowl, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt.

Cut the ends from the cucumbers and then quarter and dice them.  Add the cucumbers to the bowl and allow them to marinate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.  

Gently toss tomatoes, onion, mint and olive oil with the marinated cucumbers.  

Season with salt and pepper.  

Just a shot of my countertop AeroGarden.  You'll notice that the mint and dill grow very quickly.  I've grown rosemary, thyme, parsley, savory, chives and oregano too.  It takes about three weeks for the herbs to grow to a point they're usable.  The grow light stays on for 16 hours and then turns itself off for 8 hours.  The garden prompts me when it's time to add water and plant food.  I absolutely love this thing!


No comments:

Post a Comment