Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chex Mix - With a New Twist

My family and friends love Chex Mix.  I make the Traditional Chex Mix and Chili Chex Mix every year, and trust me, no matter how much I make, it is always gone before the holidays are over.  General Mills has come out with several new flavors of Chex cereal and some new (and really good) Chex Mixes.  For Thanksgiving munchies, I made Chex Pumpkin Pie Crunch and Snickerdoodle Chex Mix.  My son, Luke was really upset with me for not making the Traditional Chex Mix, but he soon got over it.

Chex Pumpkin Pie Crunch
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups Cinnamon Chex cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal
8 oz pecans  (I substituted cashews)

Combine brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and butter in a small saucepan over low heat.  Stir until butter is melted and then add vanilla.  Pour cereals and nuts into a large baking dish.  Pour the melted butter and spices over the cereal and nut mixture and stir to coat.

I know the box tells you to prepare this in the microwave, but I'm old-fashioned.  I place my baking dish in a 250 degree oven and back the mix for one hour stirring well every 15 minutes.  It comes out much crispier and flavorful this way.

My guilty pleasures:  double the brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, butter and vanilla.  SO GOOD!!!


Snickerdoodle Chex Mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups Cinnamon Chex cereal
2 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
4 cups popped popcorn (I used one bag of Orville Redenbacher's Movie Butter popcorn)
1/4 cup butter

Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and set aside.  Melt butter in the microwave or in a saucepan.

In a large baking dish, combine the cereals and popcorn.  Drizzle the melted butter over the top and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour stirring well every 15 minutes.

My guilty pleasures:  double the butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment