Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Crab Cakes - I can do that!

I LOVE crab legs and often find myself with some crab left over and need a creative way to use it up.  Heaven knows, it's too expensive and way too good to waste!  Tonight I found myself with about 1 lb of crab meat left, so I thought, "Why not try crab cakes?"  I googled crab cake recipes and combined the ingredients from several that I thought sounded good and came up with some pretty tasty crab cakes for dinner if I do say so myself. . .

1 lb crab meat - I used fresh, but I imagine you could use canned
1 1/2 cups of fresh bread crumbs
3 green onions sliced (green and white parts)
2 Tbsp Miracle Whip
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
1 egg
 2 Tbsp Parsley flakes
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice

Combine all ingredients stirring to mix well.  Form mixture into about 6 cakes and set aside.

Prepare a dipping sauce of:
1/2 cup Miracle Whip
2 tsp sweet chili sauce (I like the Thai brand - it's pretty spicy though.)
2 tsp fresh squeezed orange juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Stir together and refrigerate until ready to serve with crab cakes.

Prepare three medium sized bowls as your breading station.
Bowl 1 = 1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
Bowl 2 = 2 eggs beaten with 1/4 cup of water
Bowl 3 = 1 cup of dried bread crumbs and 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs seasoned with salt

Heat 1 1/2 cups of peanut oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.

Place each crab cake in flour to coat.  Dip into the egg wash.  Coat with bread crumbs.  Place into hot oil.
Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until completely crunchy on both sides.

Serve with dipping sauce.

I have to say, these were really good for a first try!

No comments:

Post a Comment