Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New York Strip Steak


My family is not very good about using up left overs.  In fact, we STINK at it.  I've been working hard to find ways to waste less food although our chihuahuas and Jack Russell/mutt don't mind a few leftover nibbles now and again.

Part of my efforts to waste less include looking for better cuts of meat that cost a bit more per pound, but I purchase meal-size portions for everyone.  I've found that we waste a lot less and we're enjoying meals that much more.

Last night we had some really wonderful New York Strip Steaks that I found in the butcher case at Dierbergs. They really do have the best meat in any of the St. Louis area supermarkets.  They were about 13 - 14 oz each.  I let the steaks sit on a cutting board seasoned on both sides with Lawry's Seasoning Salt and McCormick Smokehouse Pepper while the gas grill preheated.

The steaks were placed on the top rack of a very hot grill.  They were turned once after about 7 minutes and then left to cook for about another 7 minutes.  I removed them from the heat and let them rest for about 20 minutes before serving.

I served these with fresh green beans steamed and topped with butter, cheese garlic bread, and an Italian salad.  There was a big thumbs up from the entire family (Luke included) and almost no leftovers.  Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment