Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dinner Disaster --- Almost

What a day today was!  And dinner tonight was challenging at best.
On the menu -- Thick cut sirloin steak, grilled veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, and Vidalia onion), and Grandma's Packet Potatoes.

What went wrong?  EVERYTHING!

First --- I placed the sliced potatoes for the Packet Potatoes on the aluminum foil sheets.  As I folded them up and lifted them to place them on a reinforcing sheet of foil, the sheets separated and about 1/3 of the potatoes splattered all over the stove and floor.  Oops!  Fewer leftovers!

Second -- The steaks were placed on the hot grill as always.  These were thick sirloin steaks so I let them cook undisturbed for 15 minutes.  When I lifted the lid of the grill, the steaks were on fire.  The steaks were somewhat charred on the bottom -- Ugh!

Third -- When I flipped the veggie basket, the first side of the veggies did not appear to be cooking very quickly.  I turned the flame level up just slightly and flipped the basket.  I left them undisturbed for about 7 minutes.  When I went back to check on them they were charred on the grill side.

All of this sounds disastrous, but believe it or not, dinner was fantastic!  The steaks were done to perfection (with a slight charred flavor), the potatoes were seasoned and perfectly softened, and the veggies had just the right cooking time and seasoning.

Dinner couldn't have been better, but it was certainly by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment