Monday, October 14, 2013

Fall Has Finally Arrived

I couldn't help but notice the change in the color of the leaves as I drove to work this morning.  As much as I dislike winter, I love watching the leaves change and the color pop in the bluffs that surround us.  Sometimes I think it would be nice to live where it's 78 degrees year round, but then I think about what I'd miss.

There is nothing like seeing the first signs of spring poking up through the cold ground in late-February or the leaves beginning to bud on the trees.  Summer is hot, but filled with goodies from the garden.  Fall brings the brilliant leaves on the trees and cooler days and nights for bonfires and roasting marshmallows. And then there's winter.  I like to see the snow -- it's beautiful before it's trampled -- but I don't like to have to get out in St. Louis traffic and drive in it.  St. Louisans have issues when it rains . . . and SERIOUS issues when it snows.  But, there is nothing more beautiful than an undisturbed 4+ inch snow.

I couldn't live anywhere where there weren't four distinct seasons.  Yes, it's the warm sunny, breezy days I like the best, but I would certainly miss the simple pleasures of the rest of the days if I lived anywhere else.

Fall brings cooler weather and I automatically start thinking of soups, stews and comfort food.  Be sure to check back often for new recipe ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment