Friday, November 5, 2010

Update On The Avocado Tree

About 2 months ago, I thought it would be fun to follow the instructions to grow an Avocado Tree from a seed.  After my last batch of guacamole, I saved the pits.  I pushed toothpicks into each side of two pits and then placed the pits pointed side down into a clear glass of water.  I placed both glasses in a sunny spot and left them for a week.  I made sure daily that there was still enough water in the glass to keep the tip submerged.

After about 6 weeks, I had a white root growing out of one pit.  The other one had just become squishy and obviously was not going to produce anything.  I planted the one with the root in a pot on the deck about three weeks ago.  I covered it with good soil, set it in a sunny place and watered it frequently.  Nothing happened.  Day after day I looked in the pot for any sign of life -- NOTHING!

The forecast for tonight is for frost, and guess what . . . all of a sudden, today there is a tiny sprout poking up through the soil in that pot.  Just in the knick of time.  It managed to get itself moved into the house just before the first frost tonight.  Avocado Trees must be slow growers.

I'll keep you posted .

No comments:

Post a Comment