Monday, August 1, 2011

My Favorite Food - Corn On The Cob!!!

You don't have to ask me twice . . . my favorite food is corn on the cob.  Growing up in a very rural area, we had access to the freshest sweet corn all summer long.  Now, I just have to settle for the best corn that shows up in the grocery store.  Dierbergs had locally grown corn right now and I've been buying lots of it!

Fresh corn contains a healthy dose of B-vitamins.  Look for cobs with bright white and yellow kernels.  My first choice is white corn with small kernels, but that's often hard to find.  Look for corn with bright green husks and light yellow silk.  When you pull back the husk, the kernels should be plump and shiny.  Avoid corn with shriveled husks and dark or slimy silk.   Be sure to use your corn within 2 days of purchase, and store it uncovered in the refrigerator.

I like to put my corn on the cob into a pot of salted boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.  Serve it with butter and salt.  Mmmmm Good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment