Monday, September 13, 2010

I Needed a Quick Dinner Tonight, But Wanted Something Yummy & Healthy

Tonight was a rare night.  No one was working late.  Everyone was home by 8:00.  That's almost unheard of anymore.  Hmmm . . . one hour to fix dinner.

I defrosted three beef petite shoulder medallions (1/2 lb each).  I let them sit on a cutting board sprinkled with McCormick's Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple seasoning on both sides for 1/2 hour.  This was the first time I had used this seasoning.  The label suggested using it on chicken, salmon, or pork; I thought it would be an interesting flavor on beef.  It was - it's smoky, it's sweet, and it's delicious.  The medallions were grilled in the grill pan, six minutes on each side, and then turned one more time and allowed to sit under the press with the burner turned off.    You'll be surprised how tender, juicy, and flavorful these are. (You can find the petite medallions at Dierbergs in the butcher's case.)

We had baked sweet potato fries.  I found them in the freezer case at the grocery store.  I sprinkled them with Lawry's Seasoning Salt and put them in the oven for 20 minutes while the steaks cooked.   They were so good.  Even the kids couldn't get enough of them.

Lastly, we had steamed green beans.  I had a pound and a half of fresh green beans in the fridge.  Once they were snipped and sliced, I put them into a Ziploc Veggie Steamer bag with a little bit of salt, two crushed chicken bullion cubes dissolved in 1/4 cup water, and 3 Tbsp butter.  The bag went into the microwave on high power for 7 minutes.  The beans were so good!  (If you don't have time to snip fresh beans, use frozen.  The results shouldn't be too different.)

Maybe I was just hungry tonight, but dinner was good.  I'll definitely be planning a repeat in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment