Saturday, September 10, 2011

AARP Create The Good Event for Feed My People


What a great day! We delivered more than $600 worth of food to Feed My People in High Ridge this morning. This was an event created to honor the tenth anniversary of September 11th. Family, friends, and local businesses contributed money to help feed hungry people in our community. 

Emma and I worked hard to find the best way to spend the money collected.  We watched the sale ads over the course of a month, carefully purchasing non-perishable items such as canned tuna, canned veggies, beans, Chef Boyardee meals, Campbell's soups, spaghetti and jarred meat sauce, baking mixes, breakfast cereals, oatmeal, and so much more.  For two weeks the dining room table was covered with bags and boxes of food.  The couple of days before our planned delivery day, we found fantastic prices on Lunchables, Del Monte fresh fruit cups, and baby carrots.  I wish you could have seen the look on Eddie's face when I asked him to make room in the extra fridge to keep all of those items.  He's much better at figuring out puzzles than I am.  Lo and behold, he made it all fit!  

We were fortunate enough to receive a huge tray of pastries from a local bakery to share too.  

This morning Paul, Katy and Christian arrived to help us pack up the refrigerated items and load everything into their van.  Christian was quite the helper and was absolutely delighted when he saw  all of the balloons attached to the Create the Good bags.  Emma, Kane and Baby Liam were here to help too.  

When we pulled into the delivery bay at Feed My People this morning, the pantry supervisor came out and introduced himself.  When Paul opened the back of the van and he saw the boxes and bags of food and all of the balloons, he said, "Wow, you made a party out of this!"  It really did feel festive.  It felt good to be there.  As the staff unloaded the van, the supervisor (I wish I could remember his name) told us they had been down to just three banana boxes full of canned fruit and canned corn this morning and they didn't know what they were going to do.  He said, "We prayed, and you guys are the answer to our prayer."  He assured me that the food in the bags was a huge blessing.  

I just want to say a huge thank you to all who contributed and made this experience possible.

Loomis Bros. Equipment Company, Dale & Elaine Loomis, Food for Less, David and Marguerite Kruse, Russell's Bakery & Cafe, Vicky Anderson, Paul & Katy Presson, Steven & Misti Kruse.  

This is a day I will remember for years to come, and it has inspired me to look for ways to help in the community every day.  Enjoy the pictures below, and I hope you find yourself inspired too.  


























No comments:

Post a Comment