Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Even a Good Cook Can Make An "Oh No" Dinner

Last Friday night I went to happy hour at Jilly's in High Ridge with several of my co-workers.  In addition to the expected beverages :) we ordered lots of appetizers to share.  I had never had Deep Fried Cannelloni Bites, but these things were awesome!  After eating a bit more than my share, I was convinced I could make those yummy little bites myself.

As I did my grocery shopping last weekend I bought what I thought I would need to make them - Cannelloni noodles, ground beef, Sweet Italian sausage, mozzarella cheese, onions, garlic, and bread crumbs.  The meat  mixture with cheese turned out absolutely awesome.  The flavor was spot on.  But . . . when it came to stuffing the cut cannelloni noodles, most of them split apart.  It's a little tough to bread and deep fry something that's falling apart before it goes into the deep fryer.  We wound up with a plateful of crispy noodles and crusty ground beef and sausage.  Top that with a little marinara sauce and that was dinner.

Such a disappointment!  From now on, if I want Cannelloni Bites I'll go to Jilly's or find them in the frozen section of my grocery store.  This is one recipe you won't find posted on this blog.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment