Monday, August 27, 2012

A Fabulous Find!

A couple of months ago I read about this produce co-op and I thought it sounded like a good idea.  But . . . I was reluctant to try it out.  I didn't know anyone who had participated and I wasn't sure about the quality of the produce they would provide.  The prices were great, but I had to pay in advance and then pick it up at a particular location within a 15 minute window.  So much pressure!!! :)

Last Thursday I decided I would give it a try one time.  I placed an order for the Produce Basket, the Lunch Box Kit, and 5 lbs of sweet potatoes.  With the delivery fee and the required one time $2.00 contribution for coop bags, my total came to $40.00.  Take a look at a snapshot of the Produce Basket.


This picture doesn't begin to do justice to what was in the basket.  There were bananas, plums, nectarines, fresh ginger, cilantro, Napa cabbage, button mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuce, oranges, apples, carrots, potatoes, and cauliflower.  The bag had to weigh about 30 lbs.  The Lunch Box Kit had 10 single serve packages of baby carrots, pretzels, and animal crackers.  There were five single servings of banana chips.  There were baby bananas, 10 small apples, and 10 small pears.  What a bargain at $13.50!  Amazingly, everything was very fresh and well worth the money spent.

When I arrived at the pick up point, there were probably 50 people waiting in line to get their produce.  Pick up went very quickly.  Everything was sorted into bags and boxes and our orders were labeled with our names.  I had quite a time carrying all of my purchases all the way to the car.  I will certainly be back in two weeks for the next delivery.  What a bargain!

Check out the co-op when you have time.  Their website is www.communityhelpingscoop.com.  There are groups all over the St. Louis area.  I happen to be part of the High Ridge group.  Be sure to sign up for a group, and they will e-mail you a couple of days ahead to remind you to order, and then send you a reminder to pick up your produce on the delivery date.

2 comments:

  1. I got the same one!! Where do you do your pick up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined the High Ridge Group. Pick up is at the High Ridge Civic Center behind the elementary school.

    ReplyDelete