Sunday, July 16, 2023

Pasta Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes


 I inherited a love of gardening from my dad and my grandma.  It occupies all of my spare time spring, summer and fall.  Every summer I wind up with an over-abundance of tomatoes and I think I've finally found the best possible way to make good use of them.  This pasta sauce is delicious served over spaghetti noodles or used in your best lasagna recipe.

1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, smashed
4 lbs fresh tomatoes, quartered
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt

Prep all of the ingredients.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms.  Cook and stir until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. 

Add the tomatoes, sugar, oregano, parsley and salt.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  

Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Stir occasionally until the sauce thickens, 30 - 40 minutes.  

Let the sauce cool and then pour into a mixing bowl.  Use an immersion blender to break down the chunks of vegetables and tomato skin.

Serve with your favorite pasta recipe.

Note:  This can be stored in freezer safe containers to be frozen for future use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment