Monday, November 30, 2009

A Different Kind of Snack Mix

We always have the standard Chex Mix around to snack on through the holidays, but this year I decided to try something new too.  I ran across a sketchy recipe in a magazine - it said combine sesame sticks, rice crackers, pistachio nuts, corn nuts, and pumpkin seeds with your favorite spices.  Heat in the oven to bring out the flavor of your spices.

So, here's what I did.  I placed one pound of sesame sticks in a roasting pan.  I found the sesame sticks in the whole foods aisle of the grocery store in the bulk bins.  I added two 4 oz boxes of plain rice crackers(also in the whole foods aisle) broken into pieces and two 4 oz packages of plain corn nuts.  I shelled and added 1/2 lb of pistachio nuts and a 4 oz package of pumpkin seeds.  I combined 1/2 cup of vegetable oil with 2 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp garlic powder.  I whisked it well and poured it over the snack mix and stirred to combine.  I placed the roasting pan into a 250 degree oven and baked for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.  It is stored in an airtight container.

This is good, and I will make it again.  But, the next time around, I'll leave out the pistachio nuts and the pumpkin seeds.  They have a different texture than the rest of the snack mix and I don't care for them.  I'll add more rice crackers to make up the difference.

Give it a try if you're looking for something new and different.

No comments:

Post a Comment