Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Favorite Days

This may sound a little bit crazy, but days like today are my favorite days!  We woke up to snow and terrible driving conditions this morning.  The ride to work was horrible.  It took me 40 minutes just to drive three miles.   A little bit of snow in St. Louis creates total gridlock!  There is simply nothing like it -- it certainly gave us plenty to talk about.

We managed a high of about 18 degrees today and that makes it the perfect soup for supper kind of night.  I had placed the turkey carcass and remaining drippings from our New Year's Day turkey into a soup pot and filled it with water.  I boiled it for a couple of hours and wound up with a hearty broth and an amazing amount of turkey to freeze and use for turkey and dumplings another time.  Well, tonight was certainly the time.  I placed the frozen broth and turkey in a stock pot over high heat.  I sliced and added carrots, celery and an onion.  Once it came to a rolling boil, I added a package of frozen Reames Dumplings.

A loaf of Ciabatta bread baked in the oven and sliced to serve made the perfect compliment to a cold weather dinner.

All of the kids were home for dinner and we enjoyed a quiet evening.  Sometimes it's just nice to spend time with everyone at home.  Thanks to a little bad weather, we had that pleasure tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment