Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Bearnaise Sauce

I watch all kinds of shows on Food Network.  I'm a total foodie!  What can I say?  But, when I hear them talk about Bearnaise Sauce, I have to admit I don't know what it is.  Well, now I do.  Here is the recipe

1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 Tbsp minced shallots
1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
2 - 3 Tbsp water
4 egg yolks
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste

Bring vinegar, wine, shallots, and tarragon to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Boil until most of the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.

Off heat, add water, then whisk in egg yolks until frothy.

Gradually drizzle in butter, whisking constantly to incorporate.  Sauce should be thick, but thin it with a little water if needed.  If it's too thin, return it to low heat and whisk constantly until thickened.

Strain sauce through a medium-mesh strainer into a heatproof cup.  Season with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Serve immediately.

They say this is awesome served over beef tenderloin fillets.  We may just have to try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment