Tuesday, December 14, 2010

New Snack Idea - Chex Pumpkin Pie Crunch

Yesterday was "Let's Make Chex Mix" at the Pressons.  Like most years, we made the Traditional Chex Mix and the Chili Chex Mix.  They are always a hit - everybody loves them.  This year I've added a new one to the mix.  It's a yummy one too.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups Cinnamon Chex cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal
8 oz pecans  (I don't like nuts, so I left them out - I didn't miss them.)

The modern day recipes for Chex Mix are all microwavable.  I don't make mine that way.  I prefer to make mine the old fashioned way.  Mix the cereals together.  Mix the butter and spices together in a saucepan on the stove.  Mix well until the butter is melted.  Pour over the cereal mixture.  Bake for one hour at 250 degrees stirring every 15 minutes.  Allow to cool and then store in airtight containers.

I took this to work today, and got the same comments from everyone.  "This is great, but it doesn't taste like pumpkin."  True, it doesn't taste like pumpkin, but it has all of the spices and sweetness you'll find in pumpkin pie.  Definitely give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment