Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Secrets of a Great Tossed Salad

I like food that not only tastes good, but looks great too.  We eat lots of salads at our house.  My Tossed Salad looks as great as it tastes when it's served in my Pampered Chef Bamboo Bowl.  I season the bowl with olive oil every two - three months.  

Begin your tossed salad by slicing a peeled clove of garlic in half and rubbing the inside of the bowl with it.  Don't miss a spot :)  This will flavor your lettuce and your dressing as your salad is tossed.  Add your torn (not cut) lettuce to your bowl - about 12 cups.  I like to use a combination of Romaine, Iceberg, and Boston red or green leaf lettuce.  Make sure your lettuce is washed well and spun dry.  My kids, even as old as they are, still like to use the salad spinner.  It's a great way to get the kids involved in cooking.

I cut two tomatoes into wedges and slice a small cucumber to add texture and crunch.  Add to your salad and toss. 

To dress the salad, drizzle 3 Tbsp olive oil over your lettuce leaves and toss.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper to 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar and stir to dissolve.  Drizzle over the salad and toss again.  Finish with a squeeze of a fresh lemon.  Toss and serve.

It's not a complicated recipe, but it sure compliments a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment