Saturday, June 26, 2010

Canning

I recall seeing my grandmothers and my mom can fruits, vegetables, pickles, jams and jellies, but for the life of me, I wouldn't know how to do it.

I found the following instructions in my grandma's recipe binder.

Pack prepared food into hot jars, leaving head space (1/2" to 1" below the top of the jar rim)
Carefully run a wooden spoon down through the ingredients to remove trapped air
Wipe the jar rims with a damp cloth to remove food from the rim
Place a cap on each jar
Screw the lid onto the jar - do not over tighten
Place jars on a canning rack and drop into canner filled with hot water.
Jars should be covered by 1 - 2"
Cover with lid and bring to a boil.  Boil for the time stated in your recipe.
Turn off heat and remove jars from water.  Place on a dish towel and allow to cool for hours
Check seals.  Lids should be lowered in the middle and not move up or down when you lightly press them.

No comments:

Post a Comment