Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Money Saving Idea - Make Your Own Chicken or Beef Stock

I love to cook and I love to find ways to add extra flavors to my favorite recipes.  Often times I add chicken or beef stock to a recipe that calls for water.  It's wonderful in veggie recipes, casseroles, and soups.  I don't know about you, but the price of a 15 oz can of chicken stock surprises me.  It really isn't cheap.  So . . . I make my own.

I buy split chicken breasts (on sale at Food For Less for 98 cents per pound this week) and remove the skin and remove the bone.  Place the skin and bones in a stock pot with two carrots, 1/2 onion (diced), one potato (diced - not peeled), three stalks of celery (sliced and including leaves), 16 cups of water, salt and pepper to taste.  If you happen to have a tomato that you need to use, throw it in too.  Cook over high heat, bringing to a full boil.  Allow to simmer for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool.  Remove the skin, bones, and veggies.  Place stock into 4 cup containers with a slight amount of air space to spare.  Freeze until ready to use.

Do the same thing with beef scraps when you buy a roast and trim it and cut it into stew meat or stir fry meat.  It makes a delicious stock and can be used in so many recipes.  And ... yes, it's so much cheaper than buying canned or boxed stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment