Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Apple Dumplings - Fabulous dessert, but lots of work

I went to Sam's to do some shopping with my son Paul and daughter Emily.  We spent an hour and a half wondering through the store looking at food and Christmas decorations (Yikes!  Christmas will be here before we know it.).  I can tell it's fall - I'm hungry.

Karan's money saving tip for today - Don't shop when you're hungry.  But you already knew that.

Before I knew it, we had a cart full of stuff!  It was worth it though because we enjoyed each other's company and had a relaxing evening.  On the way home, we stopped to see Luke working at Taco Bell.  His manager actually sent him out to the dining room to make sure we had everything we wanted.  I think Luke was a little embarrassed, but happy to see us.

Paul told me he wants Katy to fix him some Apple Dumplings, so I promised I'd post the recipe here.  These are wonderful, but take quite a while to make.  They are worth the trouble, I promise.

4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Apples - sliced
Cinnamon sugar

Add milk to make a soft dough.  You do not want it sticky.
Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut into squares (about 4" x 4")
Fill each square with sliced apples and cinnamon sugar
Bring corners together and pinch dough to close tightly - do not leave any unclosed edges
Drop into boiling water and boil for 20 minutes

Serve hot topped with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.  YUMMY!

These freeze well to serve anytime.  Simply boil them and then let them cool.  Place in a Ziplock freezer bag and freeze.  Defrost when you're ready to serve them.  Warm in the microwave and then top with the butter and cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment